This savory dish is also made using Rice flour. A sweet version is also prepared using jaggery. And sometimes this is also known as Halbai, in kannada. I shall share these recipes in my future posts. Now to the Divine preparation,
Rice - 1 cup, soaked for 3 hrs
Green chillies - 8 nos / as required
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Sour buttermilk - 2 cups
Oil - 3 tbsps
mustard, cumin seeds, urad dhal, chopped curry leaves, Hing
Onion - 1 large , chopped
Coriander - 2 tbsps , chopped
What you can do now
- Rice can be soaked for 3 hrs or overnight.
- Grind rice to a smooth paste, with green chillies & coconut, salt.
- The funda is to use 3 cups of ( water , buttermilk ) for 1 cup of rice.The proportion of water & buttermilk can be adjusted according to availability . Use the measured water for grinding also. Then mix in the balance of the liquid to the batter & keep aside.
- In a thick bottom pan , heat the oil & temper . Saute the onions till done.
- Pour in the batter & stir continuously to avoid lump formation, till it all comes together as a mass. At this stage , cover & let cook for brief intervals , stirring between.
- If the mixture does not stick to the wet hands when touched , it can be considered done.
- Mix in the coriander & put off the heat.
- Grease trays & level this mixture with wet / greased palms. Cut into pieces when cool / warm.
- Tamarind extract / citric acid can used , if the buttermilk is not sour enough.
- Chopped greens like Methi / dill can be sauteed along with onions , according to preference.
- Tastes good even at room temperature.
- Can be used as a snack or breakfast dish.