Puffed rice is also known as murmura, mandakki, borugulu, kallepuri.
Preparation of Bhel Puri using this puffed rice is better known by most of us.
Puri uppitu is prepared as a breakfast dish. Borugulu oggani with merapakayi bajji ( mirchi bajji ) is a famous combination in the Rayalseema area of Andhra Pradesh. Poppula pudi ( spice powder made of roasted gram ) , oggani & Mirchi bajji make a hearty breakfast, & is even prepared in large scale as breakfast in weddings & other functions.
Nowadays , we find packed puri on the shelves of super markets. More commonly they are sold by street vendors carrying bulky bags on their back , calling on the regular houses & are measured by the liters
In Bangalore , we commonly find 2 types of puffed rice. The lighter, more porous type is called bangalore puri, which is also used for Bhel Puri This requires just 5 minutes of soaking time. The other one is mysore puri, which is less porous comparatively & this needs to be soaked for at least 15-20 minutes to soften.
This is soaked in a big wide container with lots of water. As they are light , they have to pushed into the water, time and again. Take handful of puri at time & squeeze out all the excess water , as a pre- preparation.
You will need,
Puri - 12 cups ( approx 250gms )
Oil- 2 tbsps
Mustard, urad dhal, bengal gram dhal, curry leaves, hing
Green chillies- 6 ( chopped finely/ paste )
Onion- 2 nos, chopped
Tamarind Extract / lemon juice
Roasted gram powder - 1 tbsp
Coriander - to garnish
Grated coconut / grated copra - ( optional )
What you need to do next :
- Prepare the puri and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan , heat the oil & do the tempering.
- Throw in the chillies & saute for a minute.
- The onions go in next. Saute till done.
- If using tamarind extract , add it now & stir till all the moisture is reduced.
- Salt can be added now.
- Toss in the prepared puri, & stir to combine . Cover & cook for brief intervals , stirring between till the puri is hot and done.
- Check for seasoning. This uppitu tastes good if it is hot & spicy. Add more chilly paste if required.
- If using lemon juice, it can be added now.
- Roasted gram powder is added and mixed well. It acts as a binding agent to hold the puri together. Put off fire.
- Garnish with chopped coriander & coconut .