A Vibrant , Spicy ,Tangy Thokku.
It can be made in a jiffy & the burst of flavors from this thokku rejuvenates the bored taste buds .If you are looking for a quick - fix solution to meal time blues , such thokkus come in handy , as they serve as a good accompaniment with not only with hot rice , but also go well with dosa & roti varieties.
My Co-sister, Rajini, who is from Bellary , Karnataka, introduced us to this recipe. Ever since , I even make Tomato Rice using the same recipe.
For the flavoring , temper the oil with aromatic spices like Cinnamon , cloves , elichi, Bay leaf. Then drop some of this thokku & stir, add in cooked & cooled rice with peas , a dash of salt & Viola! you have a tasty mixed rice ready.
Ripe Tomatoes - 7 medium size, diced into chunks
Red chilly Powder - 2 tsps
Rasam Powder - 2 tsps
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Tamarind - 2 '' soaked
Jaggery - 1 tbsp
Oil - 2 tbsps
Mustard, Jeera , Curry leaves , Hing - For Tempering
Puree the tomatoes with minimum water.
- Heat the oil in a kadai & do the tempering.
- Pour in the puree & cook stirring in between till some of the water has evaporated.
- When half thick, add the tamarind Extract , salt, jaggery , turmeric powder & cook to the required consistency.
- Cover the kadai & cook , if there is splattering.
- Add the spice powders, stir & put off the flame.
- Taste & adjust the flavors.
- Store in a dry container in the fridge.
Use more tamarind if the tomatoes are not sour.
The spice powders, salt & jaggery has to be increased accordingly.
Crush a couple of garlic cloves into the thokku in the final stages , if you like.
I'm sending this recipe to the Pickles 'N Chutneys event , hosted by Sireesha of Mom's Recipes.