Murraya Koenigi, that is the botanical name for curry leaves.
Curry leaf is native to India & is a important flavoring ingredient in the south Indian cuisine.
It is used as a tempering ingredient & it's delicate aromatic flavor is infused into most of the sambars, rasams, chutneys & curries & other savory dishes. It is also widely used in the traditional system of medicine to treat nausea & digestive disorders. It is rich in micro nutrients & also a antioxidant & high in fibre.It is common to find this in every Indian kitchen.
It is used as a main ingredient in the preparation of spice powders & also chutney. So when there was surplus of curry leaves in the house , the first thing that came to my mind was Karepaku pudi ie Curry leaves spice powder. Pudis are relished with hot steaming rice & ghee.
Pickles & pudis kind of creates appetite & sets the tone for a hearty meal. It is a combination of lentils & spices & balanced with the tanginess of tamarind & sweet from the jaggery.
First the curry leaves have to be washed & wiped dry or spread on a cloth for the moisture to dry. Either these leaves can be made crisp in the sun or for quicker crisping use the microwave.To proceed with the recipe ,
You will need,
Curry leaves- 2 cups packed, wash & measure & made crisp.
Bengal gram dal- 4 tbsps
Urad dal- 2 tbsps
Coriander seeds - 3 tbsps
jeera ( cumin )- 2 tbsps
Black Pepper - 1 tsp
Red chillies - 12
Tamarind - 3" piece
Salt - to taste
Jaggery - 1 tbsp
Dry Copra, grated - 1/2 cup
Oil - 1 tsp
For Tempering - Mustard, jeera & hing
- Toast the dals with few drops of oil till it changes color on low flame.
- Add the the other spices also to the dals when almost done & toast lightly.
- Cool & dry grind them with the curry leaves , salt .
- Add the tamarind, jaggery & run the blender.
- Finally add the copra & whizz again.
- Take a tsp of oil in a pan & temper the mustard, jeera & hing. Add the spice powder , stir a couple of times & put off flame.
- Transfer to a air tight bottle when cool.
Goes well with hot rice & ghee.
Fenugreek seeds & garlic can also be used if preffered.
It keeps good for more than 2 weeks. But longer storage reduces the flavor.
Sending this to the CWS Event , hosted by RV , Started by Priya.